How can tourists and visitors benefit Welsh chapels and churches?
Volunteer training sessions across Wales in November and December 2019.
This project aims to attract UK and international visitors to experience the wonderful sacred heritage of Wales, particularly those along and close to The Wales Way.
We will create a platform for visitors to book travel to Wales churches, chapels and cathedrals and then explore the wider natural, built and community heritage in and around them.
Working with partners the project will deliver several outcomes:
- 200 new churches/chapels on ExploreChurches, improvements to content for most of 500 Wales sites on ExploreChurches, including Welsh language versions
- Wales landing page, with content on Wales faith sites in both English and Welsh
- 20-30 new experiences on ExploreChurches
- New photography, film and podcast materials created to help market faith heritage of Wales
- Encourage a target of 250 volunteers to be part of the project through training and support
- API or other link between ExploreChurches and the Wales Way
- PR and marketing campaigns targeting UK and overseas audiences, targeting increase of 50,000 in number of people visiting Wales places of worship.
The project is supported by the National Churches Trust, the church buildings support charity, and managed by NCT Heritage Services Ltd in partnership with Visit Wales, the Church in Wales, Addoldai Cymru, Friends of Friendless Churches and the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales.
Experiencing Sacred Wales aims to attract UK and international visitors to visit the wonderful sacred heritage of Wales, particularly those along the The Wales Way.
This project has received funding via the Tourism Product Innovation Fund (TPIF) and supported through the Welsh Government Rural Communities - Rural Development Programme 2014-2020, which is funded by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD) and the Welsh Government, the Fund aims to encourage new innovative product ideas working in partnership which will have a greater impact and attract more visitors.