Hanes yr eglwys hon
The site for the church, extending to about 2 acres, was given by Frances Thomas Vernon Wentworth of Wentworth Castle and is situated in what was then the centre of the parish, close to the school. However, building of private properties has taken place mostly to the south of the site.
The church was consecrated on 30th July 1868 and was constructed to accommodate 250 worshippers. Hoylandswaine parish is now part of the Benefice of Hoylandswaine and Silkstone with Stainborough.
The church has a wonderful peel of bells in the tower. Many bell ringing competitions are held here throughout the year.
The interior of the church is very simple but beautiful. The east window, which depicts the Crucifixion with the blessed Mother and St John on either side, was designed by William Morris. Five pews have recently been removed to provide more space at the back and front of the nave allowing the building to be used more extensively. A replacement pipe organ was fitted in 2007 which necessitated the reorganization of the choir vestry.
Unlike many parish churches in the area, St Johns’ has a full choir of men and ladies at most of the services.
The churchyard is often visited by people looking for their ancestors and the burial register, together with baptism and wedding registers are available for inspection.