About this church
It was given by Hugh Peverell and thereafter served by the Augustinian canons. It became a parish in its own right about the time of the Reformation.
It has a nave and north aisle which has the vestry at the east end. On the south side there is a transept that forms the Lady Chapel. The south entrance is Norman as can be seen from the interior. The North Arcade has seven foot high granite columns, believed to be brought from Lundy, which date from the 16th century. Some Norman masonry remains in the South Transept which forms the Lady Chapel and houses the original altar.
It is thought that the Nursery Rhyme 'Old King Cole' might be based on Richard Cole (1568-1614) of Buckinghamshire , whose monument and effigy survive in All Hallows Church, Woolfardisworthy.