About this church
Unitarianism is a free and enquiring religion. Members are not required to accept any particular creed and visitors wishing to worship are very welcome regardless of their faith. The chapel is a heritage site and open to anyone wishing to visit and view this wonderful old building.
The chapel has been on this site since 1700, retaining the original red brick walls. It was turned around and extensively enlarged with the addition of a ¾ gallery in 1847 and is a splendid example of a mid 19th century non conformist chapel. As part of the turning round, extensive reconstruction took place and the roof was raised by several feet. A new front and vestibule were added with four imposing Greek columns in the Paladian style. New pews were installed and the pulpit was moved to the west end and raised to be visible from the new gallery.
There are nine windows on the ground floor by Henry Holiday, installed between 1889-1920. In 1948 ‘Liberty and Truth’, windows by Hugh Heaton, were installed on either side of the pulpit as replacements for those damaged in the bombing of Sheffield. The central grating on the ceiling was originally ventilation for the candle and gas-mantle fumes.
The congregation of the chapel was actually founded in 1660 when Revd James Fisher was ousted from the then parish church, now Sheffield Cathedral. In 1700 the chapel was at the very edge of a small town but now is in the middle of a major city as part of the cultural centre, being adjacent to the Town Hall, theatres etc. It became a Unitarian Chapel in the 18th century.
The chapel has many interesting things to see, including memorials and three statues by George Fullard.