About this church
The Victorians also left their mark, renewing much of the tracery and adding 'Enter into His Courts with Praise' over the chancel arch. The roof is from the 19th century too as is the plain font, which supposedly was the gift of Dr Edward Pusey, one of the great figures in the Oxford Movement.
Good old Victorian ingenuity arranged for the flue for the stove at the west end to exit through the bellcote. The bell is dated 1693 but there is no date that we can detect on the external squared off sundial.
The building seems to have always been a chapel of ease rather than a full parish church but it was favoured as the final resting place for the good farming folk of the area who created a 'funeral walk' along which they brought their dead from North Otterington for burial at Thornton.