About this church
he origin of the parish church goes back to 1905 when a small Chapel of Ease was built on the present site. This chapel became a Mass Centre as a sister church of St Marie's, now the Cathedral Church of the Diocese of Hallam.
The chapel was extended in the early 1930s when the present presbytery and previous parish hall were also built. St William's became a parish in 1932 when Father Moloney became the first parish priest. Father Keegan succeeded Father Scanell in 1960 and undertook the second large extension to the church, which was completed in 1971 to accommodate a growing parish. The church was dedicated on 7th October 1982.
Although largely hidden from the outside by hillside, terraced housing and a busy shopping precinct, the inside of the church is bright, open and modern in appearance, much admired by those who use or visit it.