About this church
Is this the smallest church in Britain? With seats for just six people, it may well be a contender for the title. Dating to the early 16th century, the chapel may have been built on the site of an older church on the orders of the Cistercian monks at Aberconwy Abbey. In 1935 the chapel was carefully restored and reconsecrated by William Thomas Havard, Bishop of St Asaph.
The chapel is dedicated to St Trillo, an early saint from the 6th century with connections to the area. The altar stands over a natural spring, thought to have been an ancient holy well, from which water has been used for baptisms in the parish.
The well of St Trillo has a square shaped stone covering it but this can be moved to allow access to the holy spring. Long ago the well was renowned for its healing properties. Even today it is used for baptisms and the chapel is open for daily prayer and quiet contemplation. However, due to its tiny size only a small number of people can get in at any any one time. A stained glass window inside depicts another Celtic saint called Elian.
St Trillo, a 6th century saint from Brittany, was the son of King Ithel Hael. He came to Wales as a missionary and was accompanied by other members of his family, including his brothers St Tegai and St Twrog. It appears that Trillo lived as a hermit at this site sometime between 570 and 590 AD. He was buried on the holy island of Bardsey off the coast of Wales.