About this church
The lower stage of the tower is Norman and is built of ironstone. The top is decorated and has battlements , and a recessed spire with two tiers of lucarnes.
The most remarkable aspect of the church is its long south transept with western aisle. The rest is decorated except for the perpendicular clerestory and the late perpendicular north chapel which has a transomed east window flanked by two tall niches for images. The original masonry walling is of local Leicestershire with limestone dressings. The 19th century work includes dressings of Derbyshire gritstone.
Windows are of leaded lights with stained glass to a number of windows. There are 3 bells in the tower dated 1600 (five and a half cwt), 1711 (six and a half cwt) and the heaviest at eight and three quarters cwt undated.
Frisby was once described as the 'Gretna Green of the South' due to the extravagant ministry of one William Brecknock Wragg who was prepared to forego all legal regulations and marry couples on request. The parish’s rights were subsequently sequestered by King George III.