About this church
St Stephen's church was built between 1853-5 and the architect was Henry Woodyer of Guildford. It was later extended in 1893 by Temple Moore. Redditch developed as a centre for needle manufacturing in the 19th century and as population grew, the chapel was extended serval times and then replaced by the current much larger church.
The church is in the Decorated style with an aisled nave and tower with a spire. A new chancel, chapels and vestry in the Perpendicular style designed by Temple Moore were added in 1894, with medieval floor tiles moved from nearby Bordesley Abbey incorporated into the vestry floor. The font cover is by the Bromsgrove Guild.
A number of fine stained glass windows adorn the building designed by Kemp and Tower and a fine example of the Adoration of the Magi by Belgian artist Jean Baptist Capronnie. The vestry floor is set with tiles from bordesley Abbey from about 1400.The font cover was produced by Bromsgrove Guild other examples of their work includes the liver birds Liverpool and the main gates at Buckingham Palace.