About this church
Grade II listed, the ancient origins of the church are evident with a Norman chancel arch from an earlier church on the site, a listed medieval 14th century churchyard cross base,13th century font and a fine wooden screen from around1500. The woodwork in the chancel is well above average.
There is excellent Victorian stained window glass and in the tower aged 6 bells, two dated circa 1350, two dated 1420 and 1625 and two in memory of local men who died in WWI. The steeple was built with wooden shingles.
The Morgans installed a pipe organ in 1887 which functions today. The original churchyard appears to be circular, tempting the thought that the site is Saxon. It is located just 3 miles from the Roman road which ran from Berkshire to Leominster. There is a line of nationally famous relatives of Stoke Lacy's rectors.
The church, which now stands centrally within a conservation area, was rebuilt in 1863 by the architect FR Kempson. He designed many prestigious country houses and churches and the Hereford Library, Museum and Art Gallery in Broad Street. His direct descendants are the Redgrave acting family. Kempson's father was rector of the church. There are Kempson graves in the churchyard.
Fabian Stedman 1640-1713, son of another rector of Stoke Lacy in 1660 Francis Stedman, was a leading figure in the early history of campanology, particularly of method ringing. He wrote the first two publications on the subject and as a leading mathematician published the treatise Group Theory.
The daughter of rector Betham, Matilda Betham was an acclaimed author, feminist and published circa 1800.
The inventor of the three wheeler Morgan car in 1909 was raised in the Old Rectory in Stoke Lacy where his father and grandfather spanned a continuous period of over 66 years as rectors. Several stained glass windows and the Morgan family graves commemorate their association with the church.