About this church
William the Conqueror gave the church to Gilbert of Gaunt when he became Lord of the manor. He then gave the church to Bardney Abbey.
Much of the present fabric dates to the 13th century, particularly the local greenstone chancel. The church was restored in 1876 by George Gilbert Scott and a recently discovered early pre-restoration photograph has helped understand the changes made at that time.
The interior of the church features a large and much admired stained glass west window, one of only two Ascension windows in the area. There is a fine medieval font, circled with bosses of foliage, animal heads and one male human head, a definite portrait, maybe of the sculptor himself?