About this church
Believed to be one of only only three parish churches in England which share the same arrangement of facing box pews, this classical style Georgian church has to be visited to be appreciated. There appears to have been a church at Langton since before the Norman Conquest and an inventory in 1552 records the church and its bells, but there are no known details of previous churches except for the reference in by Gervase Holles between 1634-1642 to a stained glass window in the north aisle, a statue of St Peter & St Paul, gravestones of Elizabeth, wife of John Langton, who died 4 May 1524 and 16th century gravestones in the south aisle.
The present church was constructed around 1725 by George Langton. Originally the roof was covered in lead, but this was stripped in 1792, possibly to make bullets for the Napoleonic Wars. The lead was replaced with slates which were placed on a roof with a steeper pitch than the original.
The church has many connections to the Langton family and another descendant, John Stephen Langton was responsible for adding 6 bells to the church in 1825. The original cupola was removed and replaced by a bell tower which had to be added to accommodate these bells. Sadly he died in 1833 aged only 37. Had he lived longer he would have had a further two bells added to the tower. After his death the rector wrote that he had given the church 'a ring of the sweetest bells in Lincolnshire to one of the ugliest churches in Christendom'.