About this church
The church is mainly a combination of Victorian and 13th century work. The west tower was built by George Gilbert Scott in 1868, followed in 1878 by the building of much of the north side of the church. The south arcade of the church, however, dates from the 13th century. Both the screen and distinctive ogee headed piscina are medieval and the font is believed to be of Saxon origin. There are some stone heads set into the east wall above the small altar, one of which has been described as Palestinian in style and may have been brought here from the Crusades.
The main east window is 19th century and depicts episodes in the life of Christ. High above it are two small niche stained glass windows depicting the church's two patronal saints Peter and Lawrence. The ancient door of the church displays skilful ironwork dating from an early period. The porch is a more recent addition. By the side of the door can be seen the vestiges of a medieval sundial.
There are various interesting monuments in the church. Of special note is a monument in the south aisle dated 1635, inscribed on a brass plate with an alabaster surround, and dedicated to Henry Millner.
The yellow silver stain used in the stained glass is quite indicative of its very early age.