About this church
The doorway is the oldest part of the church with the arch being Norman and the plain tympanum above the lintel thought to be Saxon. The porch is later in date with a record of it being reroofed in 1668 and completely rebuilt in 1820. The church was altered significantly in the early 13th century when the five arches in the north wall were constructed. In the 15th century the walls were lifted and the clerestory windows added for additional light. The brass plaque above the pulpit is to Marmaduke Tyrwhitt, fourth son of William Tyrhwitt. Marmaduke was born in 1533, the fourth son of William Tyrhwitt. He was an ecclesiastical commissioner, and probably also had legal connections. He presided over a Manorial court at Bottesford in 1591, married Ellen Reresby, son of Lionel Reresby, and they had 5 sons and 6 daughters He died in his sixty sixth year 1599. The font is 14th century. The embattled tower was added about 1400 and was heightened to 72 feet a century later. It houses what is an important example of a turret clock by James Harrison of Hull.