About this church
It stands cheek by jowl with the daily bustle of the city's lively market, and there is a wonderful contrast between the huge, still space within the church and the hectic outside world that reaches almost up to its walls.
The church encapsulates everything that is splendid about Perpendicular style. It is a vast, airy space, punctuated by slender, soaring columns of the arcades and filled with light from the huge clear windows of both aisles and clerestory.
Construction was in a single phase of about 25 years, in the mid 15th century; only the top of the tower carries later significant additions, in the form of the slender spirelet, parapet and 'pepperpot' pinnacles, added in 1895.
The church owes its existence to the commerce of an earlier age, with no expense spared by the wealthy medieval merchants and craft guilds, from the two vaulted porches to the lavishly embellished tower that now houses 14 bells.
The great east window has some of Norfolk's best 15th century glass in its 42 panels, much of it collected from other windows in the church.