About this church
Part of the last of a wave of Anglican church building in the town, St Peter's (1849) marked a radical departure from its predecessors. It was the first to approach true Gothic in the way it was designed, hence the clear articulation of parts, asymmetrically placed tower, long chancel, steep open roofs, sturdy buttresses.
The church architect was Charles Trubshaw of Hayward, Staffordshire. The builders were Moses Frith then Mr Evans. It is built of Kerridge stone with Hollington stone for the columns and capitals, with a chancel roof of ornamental Staffordshire tiles. The clock stage and belfry were added in 1910 to a truncated design (the tower was originally planned for a spire). The clock, dating from 1908 by Joyce of Whitchurch had modified chimes installed in 1947. It is one of the very few remaining hand wound public clocks in east Cheshire. A set of 8 Bells by John Taylor of Loughborough was installed in1947 paid for by public subscription. They are a light and melodious, highly thought of by bellringers.
A comprehensive internal reordering was undertaken by Graham Holland Architects in 2005. The furnishings, pews, choir stalls, pulpit have all been replaced to create an informal worship space with moveable chairs and communion table. The carved wooden lectern (Macclesfield school of carving) in narthex. The original stone font has been moved to the northeast corner. The organ from 1890 with pitch pine case, ivory keys and drawstops is located in the chancel area.
The east window of 1849 is original and by Powell and Mr Davies of this town. The tiny window also c1849 high above the chancel arch incorporates a figure probably St Peter. There is similar glass at the west end. Excellent Arts & Crafts window (ca1925 ) of the Good Shepherd on the south side. The window by the font of St Peter being released from prison is an image of considerable personality.
The monuments are few but good. A beaten copper plaque to commemorate tower completion in 1910. St Peter's WW1 war memorial, and one brought from Brook Street Industrial School in 1922 remembering the Boer War. Mosaic, marble and alabaster tablet to Revd Vyvyan Kingdon 1918. Beaten brass plaque with Art Nouveau trees to Revd William Sinden, 1898, signed Keswick School Industrial Arts.