About this church
It was originally consecrated in 1818 as a chapel within Simonburn Parish.
It has a Grade II listing and is the largest of four regency gothic churches designed by HH Seward, house architect to Greenwich Hospital Commissioners, who had taken over the former Derwentwater Estates.
St Peter’s is built of fine tooled ashlar with a small western porch, a small sanctuary and a vestry set centrally on the north side. There are two side aisles, with no central aisle, with some fine Regency box pews at the front of the main body of the church and to the side of the aisles.