St Peter

St Peter’s was built in 1964-65 to serve an area of new housing on the edge of Sheffield.

About this church

Plans for an anglican church in Greenhill, then part of the Parish of Norton St James, were first developed in the 1930s. 

The church was designed in 1963 by the Sheffield firm of Oxley and Bussey. St Peter’s was consecrated by the Bishop of Derby in May 1965. The designation in 1999 of St Peter’s as a Grade II listed building described it as ‘a most handsome and lavish church of its date with fixtures and fittings of exceptional quality and completeness’.

The church is roughly circular in plan and centred on a 93 ft high spire, a prominent south Sheffield landmark. The main framework of the building is supported by four laminated timer legs which reach right to the top of the spire!

St Peter’s is an early example of the influence of the Liturgical Movement. Because of it the priest celebrating communion at St Peter’s is much closer to the people than in the great majority of churches. Internally St Peter’s is austere with exposed brick walls and a muhuhu wood block floor. There is a lovely Matlock marble font.

All around the walls are fourteen embroidered banners, featuring the Stations of the Cross. The Chapel of Healing and Reconciliation features a beautiful floor to ceiling stained glass window. It is a remarkable example of modern stained glass, showing various symbols of St Peter.

Key Features

  • Captivating architecture
  • Spectacular stained glass
  • Glorious furnishings
  • Social heritage stories

Visitors information

  • Level access to the main areas
  • On street parking at church
  • Parking within 250m
  • Accessible toilets nearby
  • Dog friendly
  • Walkers & cyclists welcome
  • Space to secure your bike

Other nearby churches

Beauchief Abbey

The Abbey and grounds were given to the people of Sheffield in 1932 and there is much to see for everyone who enjoys history and the peace of the countryside.

IanS
YorkshireNORTONStJamesGreat(iansCC-BY-SA2.0)1

St James the Great

Norton was once the first parish in Derbyshire encountered by Sheffielders on the road south, just imagine the London coach toiling up Derbyshire Lane! Seen from Graves Park it still appears in a rural setting.

FAVOURITECHURCHRonyRobinson

All Saints

'The last Norman church built in Derbyshire, in 1923'.

Help support ExploreChurches by becoming a Friend of the National Churches Trust