About this church
The most notable house in Bishop Norton is Norton Place. Designed by York Architect John Carr in 1776, the house is set on the edge of plantations in former parkland. It was built for John Harrison MP. Inside the church there are several memorial tablets for Harrison and his grandson, Sir Montagu Cholmeley and his family. Their mausoleum has now been converted into the vestry. There are three fine bells and a delightful stained glass east window as well as a medieval tympanum in the tower wall and an ancient sarcophagus in the vestry. Joyce of Whitchurch made the clock in 1906 and the hours chime on one bell. The organ is a 150 year old Nicholson. The lychgate is the War Memorial and two Commomwealth War Graves can be found in the churchyard. The organ was built in 1868 by T H Nicholson and was originally powered by hand before being converted to electric blowers in 1961. The organ underwent a major restoration in 2008. Located in the exterior wall of the west tower can be found a recessed tympanum and arch which is decorated with five sunk roundels with beading around their perimeters. It is not clear if this reset tympanum was part of the 12th century church here or if it was transported from another site.