About this church
Completed in 1410, it is distinguished by the quality of its stonework and a 180ft (55m) spire known locally as the Queen of Holderness (twinned with the King, its near neighbour at Hedon).
Ornamenting the walls and columns there are more than 200 carved faces of humans and animals ranging from grotesque creatures to village parishioners. So skilled were they, the masons of this church went on to work at York Minster and Westminster Abbey.
There is also a delicately carved medieval screen, an Easter sepulchre and a reredos of 1936 in memory of George V, who was lord of the manor.