About this church
He was uncle to Osthryd , the wife and queen of King Ethelred of Mercia and believed to be founder of Bardney Abbey. When Oswald died, Osthryd brought his honoured relics to the Abbey.
Rand is a hamlet, situated between Langworth and Wragby, its name denoting a ridge overlooking a valley. The church has been standing remotely in the fields since the early 14th century. There are records of organised worship dating from the 13th century when there seems to have been an open air mission station marked by a cross. This was probably situated in the deserted mediaeval village which surroun¬ded the site on which the church now stands.
St Oswald’s is well worth visiting. Look upwards and spot the 15th century gargoyles. Also hidden in the tower are two bells, one is dated 1715 and marked ‘Jesu be our speed’ and the larger bell is believed to be 15th century and marked ‘Ave Maria’. The chancel arch is over 500 years old. There is a stone pulpit with a brass rail. The octagonal, font is also of stone, with carvings, and was reset in 1902 to commemorate the end of the Boer War. The oak communion table has a stone reredos consisting of three arches with decorated alabaster panels, the centre one containing a cross.
The church possesses a wonderful array of monuments, both in brass, and stone. In 1890 portions of six brasses found loose in the vestry were grouped and refixed on a slab on the north wall of the nave. Of particular note are the eight children beautifully carved out of stone.