About this church
The journey to the chapel from Braemar is magnificent and awe inspiring surrounded by mountains with the river Dee in the valley below. There is a feeling of peace and quiet and a presence of God when you reach the chapel.
The chapel lies 64 miles west of Aberdeen and 3 miles west of Braemar and was built in 1898 at the same time as Mar Lodge for the 1st Duke of Fife who married Princess Louise the granddaughter of Queen Victoria. For 60 years it was used privately by Royalty.
It has a small faithful congregation which is augmented by regular visitors, especially walkers, in the summer months. Services are held monthly in the summer but it is closed in the winter because of inclement weather.
The road to the chapel from Braemar is through the valley of the river Dee, surrounded by hills and mountains including: Ben Muick Dhui 4295 ft, Cairntoul 4236 ft, Breriach 4252 ft, Cairngorm 4084 ft, Ben A Bourd 3940 ft, Bena'An 3920 ft.
It is very important to keep the chapel open as an Episcopal presence in such a remote place.