About this church
The church as seen today has elements from the three great periods of English church architecture: Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular from the 13th and 14th centuries, and some from the 15th century.
There is also original Norman work, as can be seen in the west door and in some of the piers and arcades of the nave and chancel.
The unusual detached bell tower (there are only seven in Herefordshire) dates from the 13th century, with its upper stage and spire being added in 1733.
Things of special interest to look out for inside the church include the circular 'porthole' windows high up in the walls of the chancel. They serve no function now, but they once allowed light into the whole length of the church before higher aisles and chapels were built onto the church, making them redundant.
St Michael's has many notable monuments, ranging in date from the 13th century (a priest in vestments), to 1851 (a child named John Hamilton, made by Mary and Thomas Thornycroft).