About this church
The original building has had various additions over the years. The three stage tower with clasping buttresses has an arched door, small lancet openings and a squat spire which sits behind corner pinnacles. The main, and original part of the church consists of a four bay nave with projecting plinth and gableted buttresses .
Although the exterior of the church suggest a typical 19th century country church the interior, whilst keeping its traditional features, has a light, modern and intimate feel. This has been achieved through the redecoration and reordering in 1986 after a fire that damaged much of the plaster work, pews and organ. The oak pews were salvageable, and therefore restored and returned; the plaster renewed and the original pipe organ replaced by an electronic one organ built by Makin.
There are six stained glass windows in the nave and 3 in the chancel, some by Kempe and Tower, others by Comere and Capronnier are fine examples of their work. The most recent window was installed in the chancel commemorating the fire. The west window is of simple geometric shaped coloured glass as are the windows in the narthex.
At the west end of the nave there is a gallery with blind arcaded parapet on cast iron columns.
The original St Luke's church was founded in 1875 by the Hamilton Family of Springbank, but sadly it closed in 2008. The foundation stone was laid 2nd November 1882. The church was still incomplete by the 16th November 1888. It was intended that the church should have a tower and spire reaching a height of 183ft and an octagonal shaped choir vestry and lLibrary both of which were never built due to lack of funds. There were also plans for a large organ chamber high up on the south side of the chancel which was also never built although a large stone arch gives an indication as to its position and size.