About this church
Wargrave church is of Norman origin, although little from this time remains. A notable exception is the north doorway. John Buckingham, a 14th century Bishop of Lincoln, was consecrated there in 1363. The fine west tower of brick dates from 1635.
The church was largely rebuilt in 1914 after it was burnt down by suffragettes. It is the oldest (parts dating back to the 12th century) and biggest of the three churches in the parish. There is an interesting mausoleum by Lutyens in the churchyard for the Hannen family and the famous Victorian surgeon, Sir Morell Mackenzie, is buried near the lychgate.