About this church
Tiny, whitewashed, and with a lop sided bellcote, St Mary's is charm itself. Diarist and clergyman Francis Kilvert, who lived a few miles away, described it as 'squatting like a stout grey owl among its seven great black yews'.
The setting is wonderful, and wild: on the banks of the infant Honddu river, with the Black Mountains to the west and the great ridge carrying Offa's Dyke (and the Wales/England border) immediately to the east. To the north is Gospel Pass, the road over the mountains to Hay on Wye.
In winter this is often unpassable because of snow, and even in summer after heavy rain the road can be slippery and difficult.
The church was built in 1762, as a chapel of ease for the church at nearby Lanigon. Inside it is a simple, very small chamber, with a stone floor, wooden seating, minute gallery, pulpit and altar.