About this church
Burrough on the Hill is a rural community of some 150 people in Leicestershire with many historical connections including being the meeting place of the Edward and Mrs Simpson and the home of the Cheltenham Gold Cup winner, Burrough Hill Lad.
At the east end of the south aisle is the stone effigy of a man in armour, his feet resting on a lion, and in the north aisle are the remains of a woman's effigy. These are thought to represent William Stockton (d1470) and Margaret, his wife. A mural tablet in the north aisle commemorates Edward Cheseldyn (d1691), his mother in law, wife and daughter (1691-1718); another is to Charnel Cave (d1792) with members of his family (1787-1833).
There are also tablets in the church to William Brown (d1814), rector; to Evelyn Burnaby, rector, 1873-83; to his wife and infant daughter (d1873); and to his father, Revd GA Burnaby (d1872). Other tablets include those to WA Peake (d1912) and Sir Raymond Greene, Bt (d1947).
Stained glass windows are in memory of members of the Peake, Burnaby, and Chaplin families.
The font is a fine example of the early 13th century. It consists of a bulbous circular bowl decorated with a band of foliage, below which is a row of pointed arches filled alternately with masks and rosettes. The stem has ten engaged shafts, the alternate vertical mouldings between them being enriched with dog tooth ornament. A dog tooth moulding also decorates the circular base.