About this church
The church dates from the 12th century though evidence exists of an earlier building apparent in the stonework in the north wall of the chancel. During the 14th century the chancel was widened and a north chapel and vestry were added. The oak timbered south porch dates from the early 16th century and within the church is an ancient font dating from 1180 and an unusual carved rood screen which is 15th century but was restored in 1897.
There are several ornate Victorian stained glass windows and also other more modern ones. In the chancel is the alabaster tomb of Sir John and Lady Millbourne circa 1440 and a number of distinctive brasses can be found in the chancel including one dated 1619 commemorating the death of local landowner Robert Masters who sailed with Thomas Cavendish on the second only navigation of the globe in 1588.
A Millennium quilt, depicting the various village groups in 2,000, made by members of the local community, hangs on the north wall of the nave. Beautifully embroidered altar frontals hang on both altars.
The present tower, built in 1812, replaced an older structure which collapsed in 1810 and the pinnacles and battlements were built in 1953.The tower has a ring of 8 bells, 5 of which were cast by Abraham Rudhall of Gloucester in 1704 and were augmented by 3 further bells in 1894 cast at the Whitechapel Foundry. On the west wall, the war memorial lists all the men from the Parish who died in both World Wars. A further two war memorials can be found in the churchyard, one being dedicated to American Airmen killed when their plane crashed on the nearby Mental Hospital in 1944.
The beautiful churchyard is a peaceful place and has had many visitors over the years including famously, William Wordsworth and Sir Edward Elgar. The preaching cross has a 14th century stone base and the stone head of a bishop, also 14th century, gazes from the south wall towards Llanthony Priory which then held the patronage of Burghill.