About this church
The oldest part of the church is the north aisle which probably dates from the late 11th century. It has typical round, solid Norman columns.
The remainder of the church was completed during the period of St Hugh of Lincoln (1186-1200). The south aisle is typically Early English, with slenderer pillars with water leaf capitals with limestone shafts.
The chancel is of the same date and contains one notable tomb that retains its original brass. It is the tomb of Simon Seman, vintner, Alderman of the city of London, who died in 1433. The other notable memorial is that to Rachel, wife of the Rector of Saxby, who died in childbirth aged 22 in 1626.
The east widow of the chancel has a single panel of fragments of medieval glass. At the east end of the south aisle is St James's chapel, the back part of which contains the organ, moved from St Peter's church in 1973.
For other details and a virtual tour of the church, see our web site.