About this church
St Mary's is solidly built of yellow sandstone and was extensively rebuilt by James Fowler around 1879. It retains a late Norman doorway and a Norman arch at the west end of the building that was once part of a tower that was taken down prior to 1879 for safety reasons. The nave, chancel & font are dated as 14th century work. A little older are four floors tones, three enriched with floriated crosses.