About this church
The church has undergone many alterations over the years but what we see today is a Early English gothic church designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield.
Blomfield’s church was beautified internally throughout the early twentieth century, but tragically burned to the ground in February 1941 as a result of German bombing. Reconstruction took until 1959 to plan and execute.
Rebuilt almost in its entirety, St Mary’s possesses a rare artistic unity, the product of the great vision of successive vicars Jack Thomas and Harry Williams.