About this church
The feast day of St Laurence is August 10th and from 1251 the annual Bolsover Fair was held on that date.
The church was gutted by fire in 1897, rebuilt in 1898 and damaged by fire again in 1960, however Saxon artefacts, a Norman tower, the 17th century Cavendish Chapel, crypt and Victorian stained glass east window commemorating Lady Augusta Cavendish-Bentinck, Baroness of Bolsover have all been preserved.
New artefacts, including statues and carvings, the Coalite Corona, the Willis organ, the 1960 fire commemoration window in the children's corner, the coal mining 'Our Heritage' banner and miner's lamp near the north door, together with the new hydraulic technologies stabilising the tower are continuing the church's long heritage.
Although there was no written reference to a Bolsover church in Domesday, several Saxon carved stone artefacts, including a decorated slab coffin lid, a stone with the sign of the cross and corbels discovered during excavations on the present parish church site provide evidence of a place of Christian worship. The farm animal heads: stone corbels surviving from that church have now been set into the west wall overlooking the choir stalls.