About this church
St Leonard's is Victorian Gothic and of red sandstone. St Mary's, less than a century earlier, is a complete contrast.
This grand but restrained classical building of pale grey stone was designed by the engineer Thomas Telford when he was county surveyor for Shropshire.
Built in 1792'4, the church is aligned north-south, with the altar at the south end. The unusual orientation was chosen to give the fa'ade more impact from East Castle Street.
Telford's original interior was light, stark and simple, and any embellishments are later additions, including the Victorian chancel screen and pulpit, and the apse of 1875. The stations of the cross in the side aisles were installed in 1987.