About this church
The church dates from two main periods: the early 13th century and the latter part of the same century. However, the wooden bellcote dates from 1711, and the south porch is 15th century. The interior is one large space, whitewashed and with its original wooden roof.
For many years a mysterious mound at the west end of the church was thought to be a prehistoric burial chamber, but when it was excavated in the 1960s it was discovered to be the base of a substantial stone tower to the church. Excavations showed that the tower had been burned down, and it is assumed this happened during the revolt of Welsh patriot Owain Glyndwr in the 15th century. The church is the setting for the annual Bleddfa lectures, organised by the Bleddfa Trust, which seeks to unite creativity with spirituality through talks and activities.