About this church
Kirk Bramwith is described in the Doomsday Book. After the Norman Conquest the estates became part Duchy of Lancaster. Although likely to be on the site of an earlier church St Mary's was started in 1120. It remains an original Norman church. The tower was constructed in the late 13th/early 14th century. Its single bell was made in York in 1350 and is believed to be the oldest bell in the Diocese of Sheffield.
The main doorway is Norman and the original font is believed to be Saxon. The church has several fine stained glass windows, one dedicated to George III and Queen Anne and installed in gratitude for the victories in North Africa during the 1939-45 world war.
The church is well worth a visit to see the furniture, most of which was made by the internationally famous craftsman Robert Thompson of Kilburn, North Yorkshire. His work includes the pulpit, lectern, hymn boards, main door and all the pews. His trademark mouse can be found around the church, and visitors are invited to search for all twentyseven.