St Mary

LincolnshireHORNCASTLEStMary(lincolnshirecam)1

Built in the 13th century, the oldest part is the low tower which is surmounted by a small spirelet that is completely out of proportion with the rest of the building!

About this church

Standing in the market place, this is believed to be the third church built on the site. 

St Mary’s is now a fantastic mixtures of different styles. Externally it appears to be predominantly Victorian and Perpendicular, however enter into this wonderful building and you will see there are elements of Early English style as well. The pillars of the arcade have a pronounced lean towards the south, said by some people to signify the leaning of Christ’s head on the Cross. If correct this would mean the Master Builder deliberately contrived the pillars to be built out of true, which is absurd. The lean is, in fact, due to stresses caused when the Perpendicular style clerestory and heavy wooden roof were added in the 15th century.

There are many features to see within including: beautiful stained glass windows, ten gilded angels in the nave roof, a lepers’ squint and medieval scythes (linked to the War of the Roses or the Lincolnshire Rising).

An exhibition details the links with Alfred Lord Tennyson and hatchments show the connection with The Dymoke Family (the King’s Champion). Nearby are parts of the old Roman wall.

Key Features

  • Captivating architecture
  • Spectacular stained glass
  • Magnificent memorials
  • Glorious furnishings
  • Social heritage stories
  • Famous connections

Visitors information

  • Bus stop within 100m
  • Level access to the main areas
  • Car park at church
  • Accessible toilets in church
  • Café in church

Other nearby churches

LincolnshireWESTASHBYAllSaints(flickr)

All Saints

Although it displays a variety of styles and periods, All Saints is primarily 15th century and built in the main from local greenstone.

Placeholder image

Queen Street Chapel

The first Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built in 1786 in the district known as The Wong or Cagthorpe. It was replaced by a new chapel on the same site in 1806.

LincolnshireEDLINGTONStHelen(jhannanbriggs)1

St Helen

Built of local greenstone, the church of St Helen is a Grade II listed church originating in the 12th century.

Supported by National Churches Trust, for people who love church buildings