About this church
St Mary's appears to be of the same period, with its battlements and its Perpendicular tower, north transept and porch. But a look inside the porch reveals fragments of Norman carvings, a pig and a rabbit that betray the building's much earlier origins. The chancel's outside walls have herringbone masonry that is probably from the 11th century.
Two fine monuments are in the north transept. One is a dignified memorial to William Savage, who died in 1616. It features his son, daughter in law and grandchildren, all carved in loving detail.
Opposite, in contrasting style, stands the huge early 18th century pedimented tomb of the first Earl of Coventry, with his wigged effigy framed by marble columns and allegorical figures.