About this church
His father (also called Christopher) was Rector of the 13th century church, and would have known the battlemented tower which dates from about 1450. Dr Wren commissioned the ornate pictorial plasterwork in the chancel, only to have it used as evidence against him at his trial during the Civil War, the Puritans considereding it idolatrous. He lost his living but, remarkably, the plasterwork has survived.
More recent additions to the church include a 20th century window by architect and artist Sir Ninian Comper, and a recent window that commemorates the millennium.