About this church
St Mary’s was built in 1867 to serve the agricultural estate of Childwick at the north end of the parish of St Michael’s St Albans. The church was designed by George Gilbert Scott and funded by the estate owner, Henry Toulmin. The furnishings and fittings mainly date from the late nineteenth century: a beautiful marble font in memory of two children of the Blundell family; a wooden pulpit with carved scenes from the life of Jesus; stained glass of Jesus in majesty and the theological virtues (Faith, Hope and Charity). Attached to his church, Toulmin also built a schoolroom to educate his tenants and workers. This hall space is a thriving community hub throughout the week.