About this church
The chapel is a Grade II* listed Georgian building of exceptional importance on both historic and architectural grounds. Built in 1820, and completed by 1821, for the then Lords of the Manor, the Crathorne family, who maintained their Catholic faith after the Reformation.
It is reckoned to be the best example of only two chapels of this type in the country. What makes it of such importance, is that whilst the exterior is a tall single storey of modest appearance, made from local handmade light red brick, it has three attractive Tudor arched windows with interlaced glazing bars and sill band.
The interior, of particular importance, is a remarkably complete survival, and its ensemble of box pews, gallery and rich Gothic plaster decoration, believed to have been completed by an Italian master craftsman especially brought over by George Crathorne, the original Lord of the Manor, is of the highest quality. It is also believed that the plasterwork was richly colour decorated.
Why not come and see for yourself, you would be most welcome.