About this church
There was a church and priest recorded at Bunny in Domesday Book, and the list of rectors begins in 1228. A century later, improvements were being made to the church but in 1349 work stopped. It is believed that the highly skilled artisans and stonemasons working on the church must have been among the victims of the Black Death. It is possible today to see where the work was halted and the different workmanship when the work recommenced. A distinct change of style can be seen at the top of the uprights on either side of the side windows.
There is an excellent double piscina with good mouldings that indicate that they must have been cut before the Black Death. The three graded sedilia with handsome ogee arches are of the same period.
There are currently two fonts in the church.There is an ancient font at the west end of the north aisle believed to be 11th century. It was dug out of a field in Bunny Moors and had been used as a drinking trough for cattle.
The most famous monument in the Church is that of Sir Thomas Parkyns, the famous wrestler. The large monument, two bays wide was designed by Sir Thomas himself before his death in 1741. The left bay depicts Sir Thomas in a life size effigy with hands aggressively pointing forward, ready to start a wrestling bout. In the right bay is a tableau reputedly carved by his curate of the wrestler 'thrown' by old Father Time. There are lengthy inscriptions in both Latin and Greek.