About this church
The church, completed in 1878/9, is a landmark in east Belfast, its 150ft high bell tower being seen from many miles around. It was designed in red sandstone by the eminent Victorian architect William Butterfield in magnificent Gothic revival style. It is an extravagant Grade A listed building, reflecting deep devotion to God. Sir John Betjeman, described St Mark's as 'Butterfield at his best'.