St Mark

St Mark was built 1895-1898 to the designs of Henry Wilson and is one of the few full blooded Arts & Crafts churches in Wales.

About this church

The church was paid for in memory of Revd Charles Tooth, chaplain and founder of St Mark English church in Florence and is particularly important for the boldness of its architecture and the wonderfully naturalistic detail of its fittings.

Inside the church, the visitor is transported from the rugged Welsh countryside to a warm Mediterranean clime, with red ochre walls and a ceiling of vivid blue sky. Let the eyes adjust and notice the decorated font at the west end, conceived by Wilson, modelled by Arthur Grove and made by the Central School of Art in London. At the east end the pulpit and altar are characterised by their intricate naturalistic Arts & Crafts detailing; both designed and, unusually, made by Wilson himself. The choir stalls are beautifully carved with a hare, tortoise, squirrels, rabbits, an owl, a mouse, a kingfisher and a dolphin.

Outside the church, do notice the rugged rustication on the lower courses of stone at the east end. In fact research has shown that all the external stonework was intended to be left untooled (rough); the architects dream being that 'the church [should] appear is if it had sprung out of the soil'. This was such an alien notion, it seems, to his builder, that he would not (or could not) undertake it!

Look also on the exterior for the massive splay at the east end, the intricate, Art Nouveau window leading (cames), the door hinges of organic form and the sweeping cat slide roof over the porch, a characteristic Arts & Crafts device. The great canopy at the west end shelters a stone cross in relief.

Key Features

  • Captivating architecture
  • Glorious furnishings
  • Enchanting atmosphere
  • Wildlife haven

Visitors information

  • Steps to enter the church or churchyard
  • Parking within 250m
  • Dog friendly
  • Walkers & cyclists welcome

Other nearby churches

GwyneddBARMOUTHStJohnEvangelist(church)1

St John the Evangelist

Towering over the town of Barmouth is the cathedral sized church of St John the Evangelist, primarily funded and furnished by the Perrins family of Lea & Perrins Worcester sauce, it is well worth the climb up the hill to visit.

AAWALES3000FILL

St Peter

More information about this church coming soon.

Become a Friend of the National Churches Trust, for people who love church buildings!