About this church
Set in a rural village alongside the River Bain, this church is a delightful find. It is a grade II* listed church, designated also as an ancient scheduled monument. The chancel is 13th century and the rest mostly 15th century. The beauty of the building is the interesting Tudor brick laid in English Bond. In the 1086 Domesday Book, Roughton is noted with 11 households, with the Lord of the Manor being King William. The church has some Norman and Early English features, with a Norman font with an Elizabethan cover. It was restored in 1870, when the nave windows were replaced, the nave walls raised and the building was reroofed.
During further alterations in 1909 the remains of eight pottery tygs (paintpots) of 17th century date were discovered amongst rubble beneath the floor. These contained the remains of black, white, yellow and crimson pigments that are believed to have been used in wall paintings formerly present in the church. The vessels are now displayed in a cabinet in the base of the tower.
The churchyard is well worth a visit, especially in February when the snowdrops are blooming. Try and spot the base of a medieval stone cross whilst you are there.