About this church
The dedication to St Margaret of Antioch was very popular in the early Middle Ages particularly in the east of the country, but ours is one of only four such dedications in the diocese of Hereford. The earliest parts of the building are the lower part of the tower, which dates from 1200, and the internal arches to the tower and chancel which date from the early 13th century.
The nave, although restored in the late nineteenth century, still retains its tie beams and roof bosses. There is a Green Man boss in the north transept roof.
Amongst the interesting collection of wall memorials, many initialled by father and son stonemasons Yeomans of Bodenham, are those to members of the Graves and Meats families, related by intermarrying, who were prominent in the village in the 19th century. The largest memorial is on the east wall of the chancel and commemorates Sir Herbert Perrott, a 17th century benefactor to the village.
Of particular significance in the county of Hereford, famous for the Hereford cattle, Benjamin Tomkins the elder is remembered on a plaque above the pulpit. Together with his son, Benjamin Tomkins the younger, he was an important early developer of the Hereford breed.
The chancel was restored on the order of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1884 by their own architect Ewan Christian. The nave was restored in 1886-7 by the diocesan architect of the time, Thomas Nicholson, and paid for by private subscription and parish donations. The tower was partially restored in 1912 and again in 2010.
St Margaret's has a particularly fine ring of 6 bells. Five bells were cast in Worcester in the early 15th century and of those, the third, fifth and tenor are still the originals. The second was recast by Abraham Rudhall in 1693 and the fourth was recast in 1659 and again in 1913. The bells were enhanced to the ring of 6 by the addition of a new treble in 1924.