About this church
St John’s Methodist Church was part of the expansion of Llandudno in Victorian times.
The architectural Gothic Revival of the 19th century had an effect on Methodist churches. Thus St John’s has a corner tower with lancet windows (tall narrow windows with a pointed arch at the top), a tall spire and a dominant gable with a large multi-light arched window. The magnificent hammer-beam roof was added in 1877, covering over the original barrel ceiling. It seems that this alteration was made so soon after the building was completed because of problems with the acoustics; 'a talkative demon' that 'whispered in the rafters' and 'haunted the preacher'.
The church was carefully restored and renovated in the 1980s, including three new windows. The 'Resurrection window' in the chancel depicts an empty cross symbolising the resurrection of Jesus, red to symbolise the presence of the Spirit, and with shafts of gold radiating from the cross to represent the kingship of God and Christ. The two birds are an eagle, the symbol of St John the Evangelist, and a dove, the symbol of the Holy Spirit. Two new windows in the transepts were also created. The 'Wesley window' commemorates the founder of the Methodist Church, and another depicts Jesus commissioning the disciple Peter.
St John’s continues to be at the heart of the community of Llandudno, serving both residents and the many holiday-makers who flock to the town. It is a place of calm, tranquility and prayer on the high street.