About this church
William the Conqueror gave Suckley church to the Abbey he founded in Cormeilles, Normandy. This early church fell into disrepair and was replaced by the present one in 1879.
Many features of that early church have been preserved, such as:
- The beautiful 12th century tub shaped font with domed 17th century cover
- A rare Easter Sepulchre from the 13th or 14th century, dedicated to the Rector in 1666
- The (listed monument) 14th century sandstone base to a preaching cross grooved with arrow sharpening scars
- Typical 14th century Piscina with ball flower and sacrarium
- An interesting 15th century churchwardens’ chest The 16th century pulpit from the earlier church, refashioned for this one
- An 18th century Charities Board
The Victorian church was completed in 1879 and built to last. Nearly 150 years later, the lives of Suckley village folk are different, yet the church evolves to meet the new demands of the 21st century.
Our four fine Kempe windows have a signature Wheatsheaf (one with black Tower). In 1898 a bicycle accident gave us an Arts & Crafts hymn board and grave board. It was around this time that Edward Elgar lived nearby and learned to ride a bicycle here too!
The biggest change has been the new floor with attractive oak boards (their pattern reflecting the previously tiled processional route to the chancel) and underfloor heating. Suckley now has a useful large space for church and community use. The school over the road is glad of the space for assemblies and PE and parent/pupil gatherings, and the church becomes financially sustainable by sharing the space with its community.
The original 1879 organ was built by our local organ builder of international renown ‘Nicholson’s. They moved it to the south aisle, enabling organist and congregation to hear and see each other much better.
Especially in the time of a pandemic, this is vital in a gathering place for all; especially the socially isolated, the elderly, and the vulnerable in this scattered rural community.