About this church
It is unusually constructed of red brick which it is thought may have been imported from the Low Countries in exchange for timber from the Weald of Kent. The stepped gables of the west and east walls indicate Dutch influence.
The porch was added in 1866.In this church Dame Ellen Terry worshipped and her funeral service was held here on 24th July 1928. Her home, Small Hythe Place, owned by the National Trust, is nearby.