About this church
The tower dates from the 14th century but the church was restored by Bodley and Garner in 1876-77, with the whole of the east end being rebuilt at this time. It is thought that the windows in the north aisle were originally from the demolished Scampton Manor House.
Parts of the timeline of this church are still visible including the 16th century chancel arch and north arcade with octagonal pillars.
In the chancel there is an aumbry with central mullion and in the south chancel wall is a semicircular headed piscine with rudimentary dogtooth decoration.
There are two inscribed brass armorial wall plaques in the north chancel wall. They commemorate Catherine Bolles who died in 1644 and Sir John Bolles who dies in 1648. The Bolles were lords of the manor.
The stained glass is associated with the Bodley and Garner restoration although some of the window tracery is much older.
The long association with the RAF is evident, with memorials, flags and Squadron badges in the church. Outside, the war graves include those to Australian, New Zealand and Canadian air crew, as well as British. There are also eight graves for German aircrew of two aeroplanes brought down nearby. A plan of the war graves and records of the service men and women who gave their lives can be found on the church website.
The Commonwealth War Graves are a popular destination for visitors on the RAF 100 trail, allow time and space to read about those who have given their lives for our freedom.
This church is in active use today, with close links with local schools and many social and family events.