About this church
Ancient Christianity and King Arthur are in Glastonbury's blood: this church stands on a Saxon site, though the first church on record dates from 1175.
A 'new' church is recorded in 1428/29, and the 'new' tower (still the second tallest in Somerset) followed after the original one began to shed its pinnacles in the 1460s. The roof, with its clerestory and angel busts, is a little later.
Pieces of medieval glass from the original east window are reused to good effect in the chancel, and St George's Chapel has an oak screen made from 15th century wooden fragments.